When spring rolls around, many find the rich, decadent treats of winter are no longer appealing. Instead, a citrusy sweet is appealing to the palette. Plus, there’s no denying that lemon cookies such as these taste sensational after eating a spring dish like an artichoke or lemon asparagus pasta.
Get into the swing of spring with these refreshing lemon cookies with thyme. These crunchy gluten-free shortbread cookies have a tangy twist and herby flavor that’s ideal for the season. Pair them with a mug of herbal tea for the perfect afternoon treat.
Lemon Cookies Ingredients
While thyme may not seem like a traditional ingredient in a dessert recipe, its uniqueness only elevates this recipe. My first foray into baking with thyme was when I made vegan lemon thyme cupcakes. I found the recipe in a cookbook and thought they were so beautiful, I had to try my hand. Upon completing the recipe, I fell in love with the herby flavor.
The aromatic herb not only made the dessert more aesthetically pleasing, it also highlighted the lemon and coconut flavors in the cupcakes. The creamy quality of the coconut balanced out the strong taste of thyme while the lemon provided a zesty juxtaposition. The flavors led me to experiment more with baking with thyme.
It quickly turned out that thyme and lemon are an unstoppable duo. In this shortbread cookie recipe, the two ingredients once again seamlessly meld together to form an addictive treat. Luckily, thyme is in its peak season now through fall so it’s the perfect moment to experience the magic yourself with this lemon thyme cookie recipe.
Buying The Ingredients
If you don’t grow your own thyme, then your next best bet is the farmers market. That’s where you’ll find the freshest herbs suited for cooking and baking. While you’re there, pick up your lemons. If you have a strong sweet tooth, reach for Meyer lemons which have the sweetness you crave.
As for flour, I recommend using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour. It’s my go-to for gluten-free baking as it tends to work with nearly every recipe. If your dough is on the dry side, which can happen when gluten-free baking, just add water a teaspoon at a time until it is pliable.
Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies with Thyme Recipe
- ½ cup vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Add vegan butter and cane sugar to a large bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Add lemon juice, zest, and thyme and beat for an additional minute. Add gluten-free flour and sea salt and mix until just combined.
- Transfer dough out onto a flat surface such as a large baking mat sprinkled with gluten-free flour. Roll the dough out onto the floured surface and press until it’s about ¼ inch thick. If the dough is too difficult to work with, chill for 15 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator until it can easily be molded into shape.
- Using cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for ten to twelve minutes, rotating halfway through. Cookies will be done baking once lightly golden around the edges.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to five days on the counter. Enjoy!
Related on Organic Authority
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme: 3 Ideas for the Last of Your Herb Garden
How to Make Lemonade: 4 Tasty Twists to Sip on this Summer
10 Delicious Ways to Add Preserved Lemons to Your Cooking